Each year more than 13.000 high school students in 60 countries come to one of about 225 nearby universities or research centres for one day in order to unravel the mysteries of particle physics. CERN traditionally hosts 4 of these Masterclasses.
Participants are welcomed at CERN’s S’Cool LAB for an introduction to particle physics, and invited to study actual particle tracks observed in CERN's detectors with the help of our scientists. The day ends with a videoconference (in English) during which the students share their results with their counterparts in other institutes around the world taking part in the programme on the same day.
Dates for 2023 will be announced in November 2022.
The Masterclasses are aimed at pupils studying science in the last two years of secondary school in France and Switzerland (i.e. 1ère or terminale with option scientifique in France or third and fourth years of the option scientifique in Geneva). The maximum capacity of the venue is 26 people, including the accompanying adults.
COVID-19 info: The Masterclasses will be organised onsite, virtually or in class, to be discussed with the professor and taking into consideration the sanitary restrictions in place at the time of the event.
CERN, S'Cool LAB
Meeting point: CERN Reception
Free activity. Mandatory registration.
Teachers who want to subscribe their classes will need to sent the following information by email to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Preferred dates
- Name of the school
- Class level (première, terminale, 3e collège, etc.)
- Minimum and maximum ages of the pupils (min. 16 y.o.)
- Number of participants (max. 26, including accompanying adults)
- Number of pupils
- Number of accompanying adults
- Language for the Masterclass (FR, EN or other, upon availability) - the videoconference at the end of the day is systematically in English
- CERN can be reached by public transport (Bus 68 or Tram 18 – ‘CERN' stop).
- An individual and nominative visitor badge is mandatory to enter the CERN site. The Professor should make sure he/she will have the authorisation to provide his/her students' personal details (firat name, last name, date, place and country of birth, nationality
- More info about the International Masterclasses: http://physicsmasterclasses.org