Our researchers welcome pupils to CERN’s S’Cool LAB building for an introduction to particle physics.
Study actual particle tracks observed in CERN's detectors with the help of our scientists.
The day ends with a videoconference (in English) in which the pupils share their results with their counterparts in other institutes around the world taking part in the programme on the same day.
The pupils will also be given a tour of some of CERN’s installations.
These Masterclasses are aimed at pupils studying science in the last two years of secondary school in France and Switzerland (i.e. 1ère or terminale scientifique in France or third and fourth years of the option scientifique in Geneva). Please note that the maximum capacity of the venue is 36 people, including the accompanying adults.
- CERN can be reached using the TPG public transport system (Bus 68 or Tram 18 – ‘CERN' stop).
- CERN’s cafeteria is open to all visitors. If the weather is nice, you can also bring a picnic.
- An individual and nominative visitor badge is mandatory to enter the CERN site. The Professor should make sure he/she will have the authorisation to provide his/her students' personal details (firat name, last name, date, place and country of birth, nationality)
How to sign up
The 2019 Masterclasses are now over. The calendar for 2020 should be available at the end of November 2019.
If you want to register your class, please send a mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following information:
- Requested date
- Name of the school
- Class level (première, terminale, 3e collège etc)
- Minimum and maximum ages of the pupils
- Number of pupils (max 36)
- Number of accompanying adults
- Language for the Masterclass (FR, EN or other requiring availability) - please note that the end of day videoconference is systematically in English
- Will you have your own bus that we can use during the morning visit (between 9 a.m. and 10:30 a.m.)?